Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and poisonous gas that can cause sudden illness or even death when inhaled in high concentrations. It is produced whenever fossil fuels are burned, and can be found in homes with gas appliances, wood stoves, and fireplaces.
Protect your household from this silent killer with Smoke Detector Services, the trusted provider of smoke detector installation, fire safety services, smoke alarm maintenance, dryer duct cleaning, carbon monoxide detector installation, and smoke detector replacement services in the Greater St. Louis metro area.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Is Preventable
Don't be a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning! Smoke Detector Services offers reliable and effective carbon monoxide detector installation, inspection, replacement, and maintenance services that can help prevent CO exposure. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our expert technicians.
Know the Risks of CO Poisoning
The Centers for Disease Control reports more than 500 Americans die from accidental exposure to carbon monoxide each year. Thousands more require emergency medical care for non-fatal carbon monoxide poisoning annually, making CO intoxication the most common cause of unintentional poisoning in the United States.
The Missouri Department of Public Safety recommends that carbon monoxide detectors be installed on every level of your home and in a central location near each sleeping area. Despite this advice, industry surveys say that only 50% of American homes have CO alarms.
Tips to Protect Your Household from CO Exposure
In addition to having carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, there are other steps you can take to prevent CO exposure, including:
Ensuring all combustion appliances (fireplaces, stoves, water heaters, furnaces) are properly adjusted and working to manufacturer specs and local building codes.
Making sure stoves and heaters are exhaust vented to the outside, and vents do not leak.
Never using an oven or gas range to heat your home, or burn charcoal inside a home, cabin, or RV.
Never leaving a car or lawn mower engine running inside a shed or garage.
Not operating gas-powered generators or pressure washers inside any enclosed area.
Remember, ventilating a building or structure may not prevent the buildup of life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide. Also, be sure not to locate any gas-powered engines near an opening of the house (windows, doors, AC units, exhaust vents) for these same reasons.